Artificial intelligence is helping researchers find answers for creating never-before-seen materials, fracking, and much more...Read more
When you are in the research trenches, you learn a thing or two about working together...
David M. Stewart
It’s the dream energy storage device: quick charging, quick release, high capacity. One center is making this dream a reality...
Ben Xinzi Zhang
Mimicking a bird in flight will only get you so far if you want to design an airplane, as the Wright Brothers well knew. Read how scientists go beyond Mother Nature’s structures for sustainable and efficient energy...
A chef can spend a lifetime perfecting a recipe: adjusting the ingredients, creating the dish, sampling its flavors, making changes, and trying again. Similarly, a scientist can spend a lifetime perfecting a material.
Can you blend the best features of radically different materials to create something better? Something that could change solar energy, catalysis, and energy storage? Check in on three centers...
From the soccer pitch to the classroom, Aaron's belief in teamwork has led to scientific discoveries and a few bits of hard-won advice...
To turn poplar trees or other crops into fuels, you need to upcycle certain molecules. Scientists delved into how ruthenium oxide catalyst works and extrapolated their findings to determine the most...
One of the great things about being the editor-in-chief of a newsletter is getting to see your writers explain tough topics better than you ever did. I realize that it probably shouldn’t be that way. As a writer, my explanation of quantum materials or free energy landscapes should have to be the best. I remember a stand-up comedian once saying that it should physically hurt when someone tells a better joke. And maybe that’s true for comedians, but it isn’t for me. I’m so delighted to have worked with this team of writers and to see what they could do. Please take a few minutes and read the stories that a group of smart, talented people wrote for you.
Kristin Manke, Editor-in-Chief
- Elvis Ebikade, Catalysis Center for Energy Innovation (CCEI)
- Chiung-Wei Huang, Alliance for Molecular PhotoElectrode Design for Solar Fuels (AMPED)
- Sally Jiao, Center for Materials for Water and Energy Systems (M-WET)
- Evan Lafalce, Center for Hybrid Organic Inorganic Semiconductors for Energy (CHOISE)
- Rubul Mout, Center for the Science of Synthesis Across Scales (CSSAS)
- Elizabeth Pogue, Institute of Quantum Matter Energy (IQM)
- David Stewart, Nanostructures for Electrical Energy Storage (NEES)
- Ben Xinzi Zhang, Bioinspired Light-Escalated Chemistry (BioLEC)